When you lot buy a Dell XPS 17, you tin already configure information technology with some very out-there specs. Just similar the balance of this powerful laptop, the RAM tin be configured with up to a whopping 64GB, which is more than almost anyone will need. The storage also can get as high as 4TB. With that kind of power, you might think at that place’s no reason to upgrade the RAM on the Dell XPS 17, but that’s non necessarily true.
Dell sells this laptop in multiple configurations, but you tin can’t exactly option and choose whatever part you desire. Some component upgrades require other upgrades, which makes the toll increment that much more. For instance, the Dell XPS 17 starts at $ane,599 with 8GB of RAM and an Intel Cadre i5-11400H processor. You lot tin can upgrade to 16GB of RAM, but that requires you likewise upgrade to an Intel Cadre i7-11800H, plus you too have to get discrete NVIDIA graphics. That adds a total of $500 to the base price, which is a lot if you just want more RAM. Similarly, if you want 64GB of RAM, you need to upgrade all the manner to an Intel Core i9-11900H, as well every bit an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060. Because of that, going from 32GB to 64GB can toll y’all as much equally $700 extra.
This isn’t every bit much of a trouble with the storage, though information technology still happens. Upgrading from a 512GB SSD to 1TB also requires getting 16GB of RAM and upgrading to an Intel Core i7, which adds quite a chip to the cost.
Still, you might not want 4TB correct off the bat, and you might want to upgrade afterwards. Thankfully, Dell gives yous that option, which isn’t always a guarantee with premium laptops like this. If yous demand assist upgrading either of these, yous can follow this tutorial.
Preparing to upgrade
Equally e’er when working inside an electric device like this, the start thing you lot need to do is make sure the Dell XPS 17 is turned off completely and unplugged from the power adapter. Yous should also make sure you’ve grounded yourself past touching some other metal surface to discharge whatsoever electricity. Also, avert working on material or near pets that might cause static.
In terms of tools for the upgrade, you’re going to need a Torx T5 screwdriver to remove the screws from the bottom of the base of operations, also as a Philips screwdriver to remove the SSD covers. You may also want a spudger or a not-conductive prying tool to aid you lot open up the laptop.
Finally, you’re going to demand the actual RAM and/or SSD you desire to install in the laptop. When it comes to RAM, it usually helps to ensure that whatever you buy matches the same specs as the RAM included in the laptop, The Dell XPS 17 comes with 3200MHz DDR4 RAM, so that’s what you should await for. For the SSD, every bit long as it’s an M.2 2280 course factor, y’all should be good. You can use the links below to notice what you need for the upgrade. Remember, the Dell XPS 17 has 2 SODIMM slots for RAM and two M.ii SSD slots, and you can upgrade just one or both.
Crucial SODIMM DDR4 RAM
A stick of SODIMM DDR4 RAM for the Dell XPS 17. It’southward likewise bachelor in other capacities.
Samsung 980 Pro
The Samsung 980 PRO is an incredibly fast SSD capable of read speeds upward to vii,000MB/s thanks to support for PCIe 4.0.
Upgrading the RAM on the Dell XPS 17
Now we’re fully prepared, permit’s get into the actual upgrade process. Once once more, make sure you’ve turned off the reckoner completely and it’s not plugged into an outlet before starting.
- With the laptop closed, flip it over to see the eight screws on the bottom of the base. Then our directions are clear, make sure the swivel of the laptop (where the display is connected to the base) is away from you.
- Use the Torx T5 screwdriver to remove all the screws, then separate the base. Using a spudger or prying tool here may assistance with this.
- All the upgradeable components are easily accessible from hither. First, disconnect the battery from the motherboard using a spudger. The bombardment’s connector is on the far left of the laptop, correct next to the copper bracket for the SSD.
- The RAM slots are subconscious backside two black flaps in the middle, just above the bombardment. Gently lift the flaps, then apply your fingertips to pull apart the metal brackets holding the RAM stick in place. The stick will pop out and you tin can safely remove it.
- Carefully align the new RAM stick with the SODIMM slot, making sure it’s in the same position as the previous 1. The notch on the retention stick’s connectors should align with the one on the SODIMM slot.
- Gently slide in the RAM stick at a 45 degree angle until the connector pins are by and large invisible.
- Press down on the RAM stick until it clicks into place.
- Repeat the process (steps four through seven) for the other RAM stick if you want to upgrade both.
If y’all followed all these steps correctly, your RAM is at present installed and you should be proficient to get. This upgrade should improve your multi-tasking performance, equally well as other workloads that use big amounts of RAM.
Upgrading the storage on the Dell XPS 17
With the RAM upgrade out of the way, let’s talk about storage on the Dell XPS 17. This upgrade requires an extra tool, which is a Philips screwdriver to remove the screws holding the SSD drives in place, merely information technology’s still fairly simple.
One thing to proceed in heed is if y’all’re removing 1 of your existing SSDs, it might contain important files (or even your operating system), so make sure y’all know which one you’re removing. The operating system is normally installed in SSD 1, which is labeled equally such on the copper rut plate.
With that out of the way, hither’due south what you need to do for the upgrade:
- Follow steps i through three above to open up upwardly the figurer safely.
- The SSD slots are covered by a copper heat plate, one on each side of the laptop, just to a higher place the battery. Using a Philips screwdriver, remove the screws holding the copper plates down. Each SSD has two screws holding information technology down, one on each stop of the plate.
- Carefully slide out the copper plate.
- If an SSD is already installed in the slot you’re upgrading, pull it out.
- Become the SSD stick you lot desire to install, and align the metallic connectors with the slot covered by black plastic. There’s a notch in the SSD connector pins that should marshal with a similar notch on the slot, closer to the battery.
- Carefully push the SSD module in until the metallic connectors are no longer visible.
- Place the copper oestrus plate on tiptop of the SSD module, aligning the screw holes on information technology with the holes on the motherboard.
- Tighten the screws using the screwdriver until it’s held firmly, but make sure you don’t overtighten. Excessive force per unit area can harm the motherboard and other components.
- Repeat the process for the other SSD slot if necessary.
With that done, yous’ve now installed your brand-new SSD (or SSDs) and you lot’re ready to enjoy the actress storage.
That’s all yous need to know about upgrading the RAM and storage on the Dell XPS 17. It’s non all that common that premium laptops like this give you upgrade options like this, so this is great to encounter. Being able to change out your storage or RAM means you can non simply upgrade your storage, only also replace it for other reasons. For businesses that deal with sensitive data, for instance, this means yous tin remove the sometime SSD, destroy information technology, and install a new 1.
Bated from that, the Dell XPS 17 is simply a powerhouse of a laptop. You can configure information technology with upwards to an Intel Core i9-9980HK and a 70W NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060, which makes for an incredibly capable machine. From professional creative workloads to gaming, you lot tin exercise almost annihilation with this laptop, and that’southward why it’s one of Dell’southward all-time laptops. You tin can purchase information technology from the link below, but if you don’t fancy buying online, you may want to take a look at the best laptops you lot can find at Best Buy.
Dell XPS 17
The Dell XPS 17 is a powerful laptop, featuring high-end specs such 11th-generation 45W Intel processors andÂ GeForce RTX graphics from Nvidia. Plus, the RAM and storage are upgradeable. Y’all can also get information technology with up to a 4K touchscreen display.