If Personal Hotspot is not working on your iPhone or iPad (Wi-Fi + Cellular)
With Personal Hotspot, you can share the cellular data connection of your iPhone or iPad (Wi-Fi + Cellular) with another device. If you need help with Personal Hotspot, follow these steps.
Use these steps first
Attempt connecting once again later on each step.
- Check that Personal Hotspot is turned on in Settings > Personal Hotspot. If you tin’t find or turn on Personal Hotspot, check that your wireless carrier enabled it and that your wireless program supports information technology.
- Restart the iPhone or iPad that provides Personal Hotspot and the other device that needs to connect to Personal Hotspot.
- Make sure that you have the latest version of iOS or iPadOS.
- On the iPhone or iPad that provides Personal Hotspot, go to Settings > General > Transfer or Reset [Device] > Reset, then tap Reset Network Settings.
Utilize the steps below for more help with Personal Hotspot over Wi-Fi, USB, or Bluetooth.
If you can’t connect to Personal Hotspot with Wi-Fi
On the device that provides Personal Hotspot, get to Settings > Personal Hotspot, then follow these steps:
- Make sure that Permit Others to Bring together is on.
- Remember the device’s Wi-Fi network name and password that announced on this screen. If you desire to change the Wi-Fi network proper noun, learn how to alter your device name.
- If yous’re using an iPhone 12 model or later, turn on Maximize Compatibility.* And so effort connecting your devices again to your Personal Hotspot.
- Stay on this screen until y’all connect your other device to the Wi-Fi network.
On the device that needs to connect to Personal Hotspot, follow these steps:
- Plough Wi-Fi off and back on.
- Make certain that yous connect to the right Wi-Fi network. The network name is the aforementioned as the iOS device that provides Personal Hotspot and the Personal Hotspot icon might appear adjacent to information technology.
- If you see a password error when you try to join Personal Hotspot, cheque the Wi-Fi countersign: On the device that provides Personal Hotspot, go to Settings > Personal Hotspot to encounter the Wi-Fi countersign.
* When y’all turn on Maximize Compatibility, internet performance and Wi-Fi security might be reduced for devices continued to the hotspot.
If you lot tin’t connect to Personal Hotspot with USB
To avoid unnecessary information charges, turn off Personal Hotspot when you don’t need information technology. If you don’t, every time you plug your iOS device with Personal Hotspot into your figurer to charge, your computer might connect to Personal Hotspot.
Follow the steps beneath for your Mac.
Connect your Mac to Personal Hotspot with USB
- Update to the latest version of iTunes.
- With a USB cable, connect your Mac to the iPhone or iPad that provides Personal Hotspot. If prompted, trust the device.
- Make sure that you tin locate and view your iPhone or iPad in iTunes or the Finder. If your Mac doesn’t recognize your device, try a different USB cable.
- Become to System Preferences > Network, then select iPhone USB. If yous don’t run into it, click the Add push and add together it.
- Click the More button, choose Make Service Inactive, then click Utilise.
- Click the More button, choose Brand Service Active, then click Employ. If you lot already take a different network connection, your Personal Hotspot connection might not activate until you uncheck “Disable unless needed” and click Utilize.
If yous can’t connect to Personal Hotspot with Bluetooth
Use the steps below to pair your devices and connect to Personal Hotspot with Bluetooth.
Pair your devices
- On the device that provides Personal Hotspot, go to Settings > Personal Hotspot and brand sure Let Others to Join is on.
- Go to Settings > Bluetooth and make sure that Bluetooth is on.
- Keep this screen open, and so follow the steps for the device that needs to connect:
- On your iPad or iPod touch, tap Settings > Bluetooth and brand certain Bluetooth is on. Tap the device that provides Personal Hotspot, confirm the code that appears, then tap Pair on both devices.
- On your Mac, choose Apple menu > Arrangement Preferences, then click Bluetooth and make certain Bluetooth is on. Select the device providing Personal Hotspot, click Connect, then follow the onscreen instructions.
- On your Windows PC, click the Bluetooth icon in the Notification area and make sure Bluetooth is on. Choose Add together a Bluetooth Device, and then follow the onscreen instructions.
Connect to Personal Hotspot with Bluetooth
If you still tin’t connect to Personal Hotspot with Bluetooth
On your devices, turn Bluetooth off and back on:
If you all the same tin can’t connect, follow these steps:
- Unpair your device:
- Restart all your devices.
- Pair your devices and endeavor again to connect to Personal Hotspot.
Go more help
Information almost products non manufactured by Apple, or contained websites not controlled or tested by Apple, is provided without recommendation or endorsement. Apple tree assumes no responsibleness with regard to the selection, operation, or use of third-political party websites or products. Apple tree makes no representations regarding tertiary-political party website accurateness or reliability. Contact the vendor for additional data.