[Updated for Quest 2 and working v28 to v29 link]
If you are an Oculus Quest / Quest 2 owner who gets FOMO (fear of missing out) when the next update rolls around and you have to sit down and wait for it to appear on your Quest, some days afterwards, then this guide is for you lot.
Almost new updates comport with them some exciting features and the latest update is no different. In this update, we have App Unlock that puts apps behind a secure pattern lock, and secure payments that permit credit card payments inside VR. More keyboards take been added with support for Logitech K375s and MX Keys keyboards. For the hearing impaired at that place are new sound accessibility settings, and finally, in that location is now end-to-cease encryption in Messenger.
If only in that location was a way to force the update?
Previously, there wasn’t a 100% workaround to force the update on your Quest, with rollouts of the update condign region-specific, in that location was no certainty when you Quest volition update to the latest firmware. Until now.
Across many updates on the Quest, various people have been able to intercept the latest update .nothing file’s location, nosotros are able to grab the update file. Using ADB tools you tin and so sideload the update file onto your Quest manually and get the update right onto your Quest without all the days of waiting!
Going forward, this method will piece of work with time to come updates, just as long as someone grabs the update file as soon every bit it rolls out and shares it with us – something I am sure people out in that location volition exercise, every bit our Quest community is astonishing! Too, being able to whorl back a firmware this way may also be possible.
workaround 100% works flawlessly. The procedure is just equally easy for PC owners. In that location aren’t many guides on how to do it on the Mac, so I thought I’d do the honors!.
If you find this useful, please do share this folio.
How to force new firmware updates on your Quest on macOS
So you volition need the following in social club to sideload the update manually onto your Oculus Quest.
- Oculus Quest (with or without Developer mode enabled)
- USB-C cablevision
- iMac or MacBook running macOS
- Your Mac should be continued to the internet
- Apple tree Final App (Mac) or Windows Command Prompt (PC)
- Installation of ADB Homebrew
- Downloaded Oculus Quest update file – try looking for information technology here
I have previously run Developer manner on my Quest, withal, I was able to attain this without Developer mode switched on. If the steps below exercise not work for you, then follow this guide on how to enable Developer Mode on your Oculus Quest.
Download the Oculus Quest update file
First, information technology is all-time to go the update file. At this time of writing the update, file has been shared on Reddit. Time to come updates will likely exist shared by other people. Please practice make sure you download them from a trustworthy place.
- Download the Update v29 Download Folder / or try finding the latest update on this page here
- Place the downloaded Cypher file into a Questupdate folder in the root of your
folder. E.g. “Users > Anthony > Questupdate” binder.
- It is important that the
file remains zipped.
Install Homebrew on your Mac
First, you will need to install an ADB environment. This allows your Mac to talk to the Oculus Quest and transfer files. A chip similar to sideloading apps and games on your Quest through Developer style. The nigh friction gratis manner of doing this on the Mac is by installing Homebrew on your Mac.
- Load upwards the Terminal application on your Mac (which comes installed on every Mac) by either going to
and entering “Terminal” or going to
- In one case the Final window appears, copy and paste, or blazon in the following command and press enter to execute it:
/usr/bin/blood-red -east "$(scroll -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/main/install)"
- Let this command run, which is basically downloading the tools needed for ADB commands to work on your Mac. Information technology will cease with ‘Next Steps’ and settle dorsum on the control entry prompt over again.
- Adjacent, the side by side command to install the Android platform tools, and then copy and paste, or type in the following command and press enter to execute information technology:
brew cask install android-platform-tools
- Again, let this command run. It will download the tools and install them on your Mac and and so verify the files. Information technology will finish by saying that the “android-platform-tools was successfully installed!” and settle back on the command entry prompt again.
Kick your Oculus Quest into Recovery Mode
Y’all will need to boot your Oculus Quest into Recovery/Update Mode in lodge for your Mac to meet it every bit a device to sideload the update file onto. Yous will not lose whatsoever files doing this, information technology is just opening the door on your Quest to allow the update to happen.
Power downward your Oculus Quest
if information technology is already on. Do this by property downwardly the power push button until it powers down or if information technology displays the Power off the bill of fare, select the
- With your Quest off,
until you lot encounter the
USB Update Mode menu
appear on your Quest.
– Every bit soon as yous encounter the Oculus logo later on pressing both these buttons, rapidly let get, otherwise on Quest 2 I institute it would continue to the main card and skip the Update Mode carte.
- On the USB Update mode menu select
pick. Have off the headset and await at the power button
light, which should plough
Plugin your Quest into your Mac
using the USB-C atomic number 82 and you should run across the
purple LED showtime flashing.
Apply the new update to your Quest
With the Oculus Quest continued to your Mac, next, nosotros will look for ADB devices on your Mac (your Quest) and apply the update.zip file.
- In the Terminal window we need to
enter into the QuestUpdate binder
nosotros created earlier that contains the update.naught file.
An piece of cake mode to exercise this is to enter ‘cd
‘ (with a space at the finish) then in Finder select the folder and drag the folder from Finder into the Terminal window. It should look something like this but with your username instead of mine:
This volition automatically enter the correct file location.
Press enter button
on the keyboard to execute the control and make Concluding enter this folder.
- In one case in this binder in Terminal, copy and paste, or blazon in the post-obit command and press enter to execute it:
This will list devices that are connected to your Mac. If nothing shows here afterwards you lot run this control, cheque the cable or connection, too if the Quest is all the same powered on and has non shut down.
- Finally, nosotros demand to execute the command to send the zip file to the Quest. To exercise this copy and paste, or type in the following control and press enter to execute it:
adb sideload update.goose egg
- Let this command run. You volition see the transferring of the file to your Quest. At this point do not disconnect the Quest from your Mac. Let it upload to 100%.
- One time the file has finished transferring, yous will encounter or hear your Oculus Quest reboot to apply the update.
- Put on your Quest and yous should see the above symbol appear on your Quest. In new updates, you might just run across the Oculus boot logo. This ways information technology is applying the update file to your Quest. Allow this continue. Once finished it will reboot once over again.
PLEASE WAIT, THIS CAN TAKE Effectually 4-5 MINUTES TO Complete.
Restart your Quest to see the update’s new features
Once I had applied the update, I noticed my controllers were also being continued and updated. Once this has finished I went to cheque for the hand-tracking option in
to meet it wasn’t in that location.
Concord the power button down on the Quest until you see the
Power off bill of fare
Restart. Later my Quest restarted it could detect the updated features and enabled them in the Settings area. From there you can now see the hand-tracking option and enable it.
In one case manus-tracking has been enabled you can
toggle it in the Settings bar
of the bottom dashboard carte, next to See All. It will currently say
Use controllers, select this to toggle information technology to
Utilize hands. When yous practice this for the offset time, you will come across a brief tutorial on how using hands to control works.
I hope y’all enjoy this guide. Delight do share this if you detect it useful.